Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why?

While I know that truly completing the Every Braves Rookie is not overly feasible, it is an incredible challenge that has provided me much joy. Hopefully this blog will bring a smile to your face and let you take a trip down memory lane.

Many of these cards are from beautiful sets, feature great heroes, and will bring back fond memories. Others are from dismal sets, feature loathsome goats, and will conjure up painful recollections of chances gone awry. More however, are somewhere in between.

Why am I creating this blog, you may ask? I don’t have a solid reason. For many years I have wanted to have some sort of lasting showcase of my collection that would endure beyond the pile of cards in my room. I tinkered with many different ideas, but I think a blog where others can share their memories and collections is the best idea I can come up with. I’d also like some way for future generations to share my passion.

Some inspiration is due to Scott Mortimer and his blog 83f.blogspot.com I think it’s an ingenious collection and a unique way to showcase it. I’m using a similar blogger template in homage to him.

I hope this blog will appeal to many demographics beyond Braves card junkies. The three groups I hope to appeal to:

1- Braves fans- cards capture the essence of baseball. Going through the set, I’m sure Braves fans will feel many memories rushing back- Seeing Pascual Matos’ rookie and remembering the game in ’99 he had an improbable winning RBI, recalling how scrawny Andruw was circa 1995, and countless other reminiscences
2- Card collectors- looking through some of the unforgettable/forgettable sets and cards of all time can be fun. Every collector can relate to searching and searching for that one final card you HAVE to have.
3- Everyone else- I believe it’s a natural human condition to collect, in one way or another, and to want that one desirable item, be it a nutcracker, baseball card, the perfect outfit, whatever. Each one of us can relate to scouring the globe for that one thing you have to have- and the joy of finding it

I hope you all enjoy reading about my voyage. I hope you all can relate to my passion and zeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment